Single Length Golf Clubs – One Length – One Setup
Why STERLING IRONS ® SINGLE LENGTH IRONS
Golf requires consistency for any lasting success. But in a game with so much change between shots — wind, weather, slope, lie, etc. — should the golf clubs themselves introduce even more variables?
A normal set of irons begins with a sand wedge, measuring about 35.5 inches, and increases length incrementally up to a 4 iron, which measures about 38.5 inches. The problem with this conventional setup is that the golfer must adjust his stance, posture and swing plane for each club — about eight different swings and setups.
That’s the issue Tom Wishon, a renowned club maker for more than 30 years, hopes to solve with his Sterling Irons ® single-length irons, which have the same length and lie angle throughout the set. He believes that these constants will encourage golfers to have the same posture, spine angle, stance and swing plane from their sand wedge to their 5-iron.
Wishon believes that the new irons duplicate the elements in each club that have a real bearing on swing feel, thus allowing golfers to use the same exact set up position and swing plane throughout the set.
NEW STERLING IRONS ® SINGLE LENGTH IRON SET
A Unique Set Design STERLING IRONS ® are built to One Length for all Clubs to Deliver a Perfect Match of all Elements of Swing Feel for shot consistency.
- Single length construction ensures all possible elements of swing feel are identical for each club in the set – same MOI, same total weight, same headweight, same balance point –
to offer the chance for improved shot consistency.
- Identical length and lie allow the golfer to use the same stance, same posture, same swing plane for improved shot consistency.
- Optional high COR #5 hybrid with high COR #4, 5, 6, and 7 irons offer proper distance for the low loft clubs at the shorter single length. Other single length sets may lose distance with the low loft clubs.
- Conventional cast carbon steel in the #8 to gap wedge with 5* loft increments blend with the high COR design of the low loft clubheads to off er proper distance gaps and proper
distance with the high loft clubs. Other single length sets may generate too much distance with the high loft clubs.
- Available in a #5 hybrid or # 4 & 5 iron to match the player’s desire and ability, with #6 to 9, PW and Gap Wedge and Sand Wedge.
- STERLING IRONS ® Single Length can be built to 36.5”, 36.75 or 37” length for each club as fit by the Clubmaker for the golfer’s comfort and preference. Contrasts with most other single length sets being created for a 37.5” length – which can generate too much distance with the high loft irons.
For complete information on the technical benefits of single length set construction, Tom Wishon offers this complete Q&A about single length iron set technology.
Here’s what to expect WITH Single LENGTH GOLF IRONS!
- Identical feel from iron to iron
- Identical function from iron to iron enhancing length, distance and dispersion control
- Identical setup from iron to iron.
- Identical swing from iron to iron
- Identical ball position from iron to iron
- Identical stance from iron to iron
- More on center hits
- Fewer fat shots
- Fewer thin shots
- Improved feel and play-ability
- Final result – More Consistency and Improved scoring
- Most important – More fun and easier golf!
Just point and shoot – That’s Golf Simplification 101!
If you’re skeptical about the concept, golf phenom Bryson Dechambeau adds some credibility. He won the 2015 NCAA Individual Championship and the 2015 U.S. Amateur Championship with a set of custom single-length irons, introducing the idea to the masses. Since joining the ranks on the PGA tour, he has won 5 PGA events to date including the first and second playoff events to take the lead in the Fedex Cup 2018 Championship.
the above is taken from a recent Golf Monthly article